Monday, February 02, 2009

HORROR/MONSTER THEMED COMIC ADS







All of the above adverts were featured in issues of 'Whizzer and Chips' comic. First up we have an advert for 'The Palladium Cellars' in London which I have featured else where in The Cobwebbed Room. The ad has you can see has a special token for readers of 'Jackpot', 'Whizzer and Chips' and 'Buster & Whoopee' for half price admission for 2 people into the Palladium Cellars. The ad is also illustrated with 2 photos of 2 of the exhibits Werewolf and Yul Brynner. [Featured in 18th July 1981 issue]. Next up is a section from a Walls Ice cream ad, here featuring the 'Magic Monster' lolly. Now this looks so cool or cold for that matter, I don't remember these myself but if anyone does or better still has empty wrappers that they could share here then I would be very grateful. The 'Magic' part of the lolly is when the lolly is taken out of the wrapper that a monster image suddenley appears. Here we see Frankenstein's Monster, anyone know what other monsters were also used? [Featured in 12th July 1980 and also 23rd August 1980 issues]. The 3rd ad shows the loveable Honey Monster that were shown on TV alongside Henry Magee for 'Sugar puffs' cereal. Here in this promotion is that in special boxes of Sugar puffs you can collect stick on badges of the Honey Monster. 'Tell them about the honey Mummy' [Featured in 30th August 1980 issue]. Last up is a promotion from Heinz Spaghetti Hoops and Noodle Doodles for a Dinosaur wall chart which measured 491/2 cm by 149cm and up to 5 soft plastic 12" dinosaur models by collecting labels from Spaghetti Hoops and/or Noodle Doodles. [Featured in 19th July 1980 issue].



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Fantastic blog!... but you've gotta help me! I am a 48 year old English man, and, in the 70s, I bought some horror mags, which were discontinued after a few issues. I remember vividly, one of the first few had a poster (painted) of a ghoul with its head under its arm! I am going crazy trying to remember the magazine name... can you put me out of my misery please? Thanks

Paul said...

Hi Chris
Thanks for the kind comment. I have been trying to think what the magazine maybe that had the Ghoul poster, at first i thought it might of been 'Ghoul'#1 which only lasted that first issue, wasn't thaty one though. If it was an British magazine that you saw the poster it may of been 'Worlds of Horror' [I'll have to check] which lasted for 9 issues. If I find out for sure I'll let you know here in the comments.

Unknown said...

Hi Paul
Still no joy - I thought it might have been monster mag... but I can't find any reference to an illustrated poster (photo-poster yes)... i adore this blog...

Scarl3tPirat3 said...

I remember my dad buying the magic monster lollies and collecting the monsters I even found some of the wrappers that had been thrown away in the street, can't remember all of them as I am now 47 but I do remember Dracula, Mummy, Vampiress, Ghoul, Wolfman, Creature from the lagoon and Frankenstein's Monster, would love to see the whole collection if someone had an image of them