Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Collector - 'Profits of Doom' Photostrip story





As you can see above this is not your usual photostrip story, usually these type of stories were in copies of teenage girls magazines and were nearly always about love and relationships, you know all very soppy stuff. So seeing a horror themed photostrip story was wonderful and a refreshing change, not that I read any of these teenage girls mags, honest! but I am sure that many of you will be familar to their concept. The above photo story appeared in a 1982 edition of 'Eagle' comic, one of the best boys comics around at the time. I have another 2 or 3 of these 'The Collector' photostrip stories if you would like to see somemore. I think they work really well and they are a nice edition to the comicstrip style of story telling. I like the use of drawings in this strip, a great way to show special effects in a style that would of been too costly for something like this. I bet these were great fun to be involved with, especially the expressions they had to do for them.

10 comments:

Mondo said...

Great strip don't remember this at all. Didn't IPC put out a horror comic (like a horror 2000 AD) in the early 80s may have been called Scream?

Couple of other bits I've got knocking around somewhere are an early 70s Panini style sticker book full of hippy horror imagery. A few 'You'll Die Laughing' bubblegum cards,

But I'm desperate to get hold of a hardcover collection of New English Library's Dracula Comic

And remember Bloody Jaspers - red lollipops, and Haunted House board game?


PS Flexipop did a great photo story featuring The Damned in 'Village Of The Damned' and one other story

Anonymous said...

Cool little story. I've posted a link to it on the Back From The Depths blog here.

Anonymous said...

darren said..

Eagle merged with SCREAM, I have 170 copies of 1980'S eagels (withs Scream/Tiger.The photostories are from when Eagle went to glossier paper over the normal comic paper

Anonymous said...

This is the one 'Collector' strip that I never forgot, so it's no surprise to see Alan Moore's masterful input there in the credits today.

It takes real skill to put together a tale in so few pages with the barest amount of text and great 'just deserts' in the final panel!

Rich said...

Great scan - now all I need is Doomlord...

Anonymous said...

I could be wrong,but I think the main protagonist is comic stooge Hugh Jelly.

Paul said...

Not really sure who High Jelly is.

Paul said...

Hi Planet Mondo
Yes IPC did put out 'Scream' comic during the early 80's [See my posts on this]

Is the sticker book you mention called 'Horror Parade'? I love 'You'll die laughing' cards.

Haven't yet come across New English Libraries Dracula comic yet, I know the one you mean though. Not sure if I remember Bloody Jaspers lollipops, the Haunted house board game was great and it was re-released a few times, at one time called 'Which Witch?' I believe. Would be interested in seeing the Damned photo story in Flexipop, sounds great.

Paul said...

Hi Paul, Great find! The Collector is the only strip I remember from the Eagle; think I was about 9 years old at the time. I still get the shivers when thinking about it! Would love to see the other Collector stories you've got.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul said...

Thanks Paul. I do have some other ones that I am planning to scan soon.